Education Enhancement Intervention for Food Insecure Students, (EDUFOOD) is a program that seeks to improve the nutritional status and health of food insecure students. It is also geared towards increasing school attendance, reducing dropout rates and increasing the children’s ability to concentrate and comprehend in class. This program will also benefit the children’s care-givers/families by enabling them save money meant for the children’s school feeding. It seeks to ensure that the target beneficiaries have access to sufficient food and nutrient intake for physical growth, cognitive development, and general wellbeing.
The Vision: To solve the problem of hunger leading to malnutrition and poor education attainment in Low-cost private schools situated in low-income communities in Lagos state (Agege).
The Mission: To provide nutritious meals during school hours to food insecure children in low-cost private primary and secondary schools in low-income communities situated in Lagos state.
- Food insecure primary children in low-cost private schools.
- Undernourished children in low-cost private schools.
EDUFOOD Goals and Objectives are:
Goal 1: To reduce food insecurity levels among school children.
Objective:To ensure constant supply of food items to food insecure school children.
Goal 2: To prevent and correct malnutrition problems among school children.
Objectives: – To provide nutritious meals to food insecure school children. – To increase school and community involvement in nutrition education activities.
Goal 3: To increase school attendance in the communities.
Objectives: – To increase enrollment of the girl child into schools. – To reduce absenteeism and dropout rates of school children due to hunger.
Goal 4: To Increase school children’s cognitive development, concentration and assimilation in class.
Goal 5: To relieve parents/caregivers of school food expenses which helps them save money.
Goal 6: To stimulate local agricultural production and boost the income of farmers by creating viable and ready market via the school feeding program. are;
At the end of this program, we will achieve the following:
- School children will have access to good and quality food.
- Increase in school enrollment and attendance.
- To increase the cognitive development, concentration and assimilation of food insecure children in class.
- Parents and caregivers of these children will save money meant for the children’s school meal and use it for other expense in the home.
- End malnutrition among school children by providing nutritious meals to them.
- The Lagos Food Bank has identified and visited 20 low-cost private schools (primary and secondary schools) in Agege Local Government Area. We have enrolled about 150 children into the EDUFOOD Program database through the help of their class teachers.
FOR PARTNERSHP ON OUR EDUFOOD PROGRAM, SEE THE APPROXIMATED COST TO FEED A CHILD PER MEAL, WEEKLY AND MONTHLY BELOW.
We serve three different meals to the children; the cost of each are;
- Cereal + milk + fruits + water + logistics – ₦354.27
- Bread + egg + Beverage + water + logistics – ₦378.9
- Garnished jollof-rice + fish + water + logistics – ₦388.9
- Cost to feed a child per day is – ₦374.02
- Cost to feed a child per week is – ₦1,122.07
- Cost to feed a child per month is – ₦4,488.28
- Customized food flask (one off cost) – ₦1,200